Energy Action Resources
Learn more about energy burden in Richfield here:
Video en español:
Resources for Homeowners and Renters
Save money and energy with a visit from the Home Energy Squad®. Energy experts will conduct a home energy audit and provide you with free materials to increase your home’s energy efficiency. Schedule a visit at xcelenergy.com/HomeEnergySquad or call 651-328-6220.
The Energy Assistance Program helps income eligible households with energy bill payment assistance and energy crisis intervention. Call the Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County at 952-930-3541 or visit caphennepin.org/what-we-do/energy-assistance to learn more.
- Manage your thermostat: You probably already turn off the lights when you leave home, but do you also adjust your thermostat? According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can save as much as 10% on your heating and cooling bills each year simply by turning your thermostat back 7°F–10°F from its normal setting for eight hours while you are gone during the day or at night while you’re sleeping.
- Window savings: Seal leaky windows and window frames with rope caulk and cover your windows with window film during the winter.Whether you’re in the heat of summer or the depths of a polar vortex, use your curtains strategically to keep your home comfortable. Close curtains during summer days to keep the sun’s heat out. When replacing your window shades, look for cellular and honeycomb shades that can reduce heat loss by up 80%.
- Seal air leaks: Sealing leaky spots in your home with easy DIY tricks can make you more comfortable and save energy. Seal leaky windows in the winter with caulk, removeable rope caulk, and window film. Apply foam gaskets behind leaky electrical outlets to stop drafts from your walls. Weatherstrip your doors to keep conditioned air inside your home.
- Heating tips: Heat a smaller area to stay warmer and save energy! Close heating vents in unused rooms or, if you have a zoned home, turn off the heat in some areas.
- Lighting tour: Replace traditional light bulbs with LEDs to save on lighting energy use. Think about which lights you use most often and replace those bulbs first!
- Put a lid on it: Put a lid on pots and pans when cooking to save energy by heating food faster.
- Hang it out to dry: Reduce your machine dryer energy use by hanging laundry out to dry — you can hang laundry outside when the weather is nice or indoors year-round.
Learn more! Check out Xcel Energy’s 101 Energy Saving Tips and get started today.
Find energy saving tips, home rebates, and programs from Xcel Energy to increase your home’s efficiency. Visit xcelenergy.com/HomeRebates.
Sustainable Resources Center's Energy Conservation Program provides home weatherization and other energy conservation services for low-income families and individuals to improve the energy efficiency of their homes and lower their energy bills. To qualify for Weatherization Assistance via the Energy Conservation Program, you must first enroll in Energy Assistance.
Whether you’re a homeowner making a long-term investment in solar or a renter supporting clean energy, there are renewable options available for you.
Subscription programs from Xcel Energy are available for renters and homeowners and allow you to support renewable energy without investing in equipment for your home. If you’re interested in installing solar panels on your home, Xcel Energy offers incentives. Visit xcelenergy.com/Renewables.
Resources for Business Owners, Organizations, and Tenants
An energy assessment will help you learn more about how your business uses energy and provide suggestions for lighting, HVAC system improvements, and refrigeration.
For a limited time, the City of Richfield is offering bonus rebates (20% of costs up to $2,500) to local businesses who make qualifying energy efficiency upgrades after receiving a FREE Energy Assessment from the Center for Energy and Environment. Visit richfieldmn.gov/departments/sustainable_business_development to learn more or call 612-244-2427 to schedule your Energy Assessment.
There are valuable rebates available for many energy efficiency projects for businesses. From LED lighting to heating and cooling to foodservice equipment, it’s cost effective to make your business more energy-efficient. Visit xcelenergy.com/Business for more info.
Interested in financing opportunities for energy efficiency and renewable energy upgrades? There are resources available to businesses to help make projects more affordable.
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) is a way to finance energy efficiency and renewable energy upgrades for commercial property owners. PACE eliminates the burden of upfront costs by providing low-cost, long-term financing.
- Trillion BTU Financing is offered through a partnership between the Saint Paul Port Authority, Xcel Energy, and the Center for Energy and Environment and can cover up to 100% of costs for energy projects.
- Minnesota Lending Center offers the Commercial Energy Efficiency Loan Program to provide up to $100,000 in financing to businesses making cost-effective energy efficiency improvements.
Subscription programs are available from Xcel Energy, which allow you to support renewable energy without investing in equipment for your business. This can be a great opportunity for commercial tenants to support renewable energy, too. If you’re interested in installing solar panels on your business to power your building, Xcel Energy offers incentives. Visit xcelenergy.com/Renewables.
Resources for Multifamily Property Managers and Owners
Depending on your building’s size, free assessments are available to help you identify energy efficiency opportunities for your rental property. b\Based on the number of units in your building, there are different programs you may qualify for and you’ll get support along the way as you decide which investments to make.
For buildings between one and four units: With a visit from the Home Energy Squad®, energy experts will install energy-saving measures. Tenants can also sign up individually with permission from the property owner. Visit xcelenergy.com/HomeEnergySquad or call 651-328-6220.
For buildings with five or more units: The Multifamily Building Efficiency Program
offers a free energy efficiency audit and services that help property owners find ways to save money and energy. In addition to a free audit, participants receive free installations, including screw-in LED lights in common areas and residential units, high-efficiency showerheads, and faucet aerators. Visit multifamilyenergysolutions.com or call 844-545-7455.
Rebates can help with the upfront costs like upgrading equipment and pursuing innovative efficiency technologies. Earn rebates for replacing heating and cooling equipment, water heaters, and insulation. Visit xcelenergy.com/Business.
Subscription programs are available from Xcel Energy, which allow you to support renewable energy without investing in equipment for your rental properties. This can be a great opportunity for rental tenants to support renewable energy, too. If you’re interested in installing solar panels on your property to power your building, Xcel Energy offers incentives. Visit xcelenergy.com/Renewables.